Saturday, November 7, 2009

Settling Down or Setting Myself Up for Disappointment

Confession: I have a huge crush. It's consuming all my thoughts and try as I might, I can't seem to concentrate on anything else. I have butterflies in my stomach and toss and turn for most of the night between dreams of what could be. It's been awhile since I've felt this way. Earlier this week I found out that some of the feelings might be mutual and it's only gotten worse since then.

Confession: my new crush is on a job. But, as Ashley says, it's totally foxy and just my type. This job is also in New York, which brings with it all sorts of layers of complexity (wasn't I trying to "settle" in California? And, am I really ready to settle?) and simplicity (like, my stuff's all still packed! And, I have a New York driver's license!). In any case, I hear they're interested in me and want to set up an interview. Or maybe they just told me that so I would stop sending unsolicited letters of recommendation.

Over the past week I've been so focused on this job posting, this possibility of throwing myself into the work I love that I've been unable to even be motivated enough to apply for other jobs. Over the past few years I've been split between running full speed ahead into clinical social work and beefing up the administrative/geeky research version of my resume. However, this seems like the kind of thing I'd be willing to settle down with and be exclusive. Here's to hoping the feeling is mutual!

No comments:

Post a Comment